AKA Cosmetics Range & Event!

When an invite for a brand spanking new makeup brand launch landed on my doorstep a few months ago I was very excited.  Not only was the event to be hosted in one of my favourite restaurants in London, but it was a chance to see the new range before anyone else – I had to go!

AKA (standing for ‘also known as’) is a new range designed on releasing the ‘other you’.  The basic idea is that all products currently available, work together to create three looks depending on what most suits your mood at the time – Demure (pretty and classic), Smokey (sultry & sexy) or Carnival (outrageous and fun).  The range is quite small at the moment (with hopes to expand) but consists of a few basic products for everyday use, but also includes a few stunning and colourful products for those who like a little bit of fun.

IMG_1121

AKA NAILS 
Nail Polish £5
I arrived super early to the event (I was the first person there!!) so I settled down with a drink and had a manicure!
I chose this bright bubblegum pink shade which is aptly named ‘Candy Floss’.  The first coat of the polish looked a little streaky, but after two coats (in the photograph above) the colour was intense and vibrant.  At the moment there are 12 nail polishes in the AKA range ranging from a bright blue, to a glitter topcoat to a sexy red – the basics for every look. 

AKA BLUSH EYES
Next up are the eyeshadow quad palettes and blushers!

Eyeshadow Quad Palettes £9.50
The eye shadows are surprisingly pigmented and I love the three colour palette variations.  I’d love to see a more neutral brown palette and maybe a green & gold palette in the collection too.

Blushers £7
I adore the the 6 blushers available.  I think the colours are absolutely lovely (my favourites are ‘Natural Glow’ and ‘Innocent Blush’ [bottom left]).  They are all pigmented so a little sweep with a brush will leave you with the most beautiful flush of colour.

AKA EYESHADOWS 
Eyeshadow Duos £7
These eyeshadow duos are probably my favourite thing from the collection – just look at how pigmented and stunning the powders are!  I adore the blue, green and silvery black/grey duos and would love them in my collection.  I love that you can sweep the lighter colour on your eyes for the day, and totally transform the look in the evening by adding the darker shade into the crease of the eye or into your lash line for a smokey, smouldering look.

AKA LIP LINERS 
Lip Liners £5.50
There are three lip liners in the current range, my favourite being the light, natural pink shade.  It matches my lips perfectly so I will definitely be purchasing that one.  I also love that they are twist up pencils so you don’t loose product whilst sharpening. 

AKA EYELINERS
Eye Pencils £5.50
Again, like the Lip Pencils, the eye liners come in a twist up format which makes them very easy to use.  All three are soft and easy to apply and all three are nice basic colours to have in your collection.

AKA LIPGLOSSES
Lip Gloss - £7
I think these will be a big hit because they colours are gorgeous, and because they aren’t sticky or tacky AT ALL!  They have quite a weird formula, but it almost reminds me of a lip stain which leaves you with a liquid-y wash of colour.  They are easily buildable, and I also think they’d look lovely over the top of a lipstick! 

AKA LIPSTICKS
Swatches top to bottom – Crushed, L’Amour, Harlot, Bewitch

Lipstick - £7.50
I AM IN LOVE WITH THESE LIPPIES!!  They are beautiful soft, pigmented, simple and just gorgeous!  My favourite colour out of the 12 available is the bright pink (second swatch from the top) which I *think* is called L’Amour. 

Also in the range are liquid liners (not great to be honest – very watery and not a great amount of pigmentation) as well as mascaras (will be trying soon for review!)

What I think
I am really pleasantly surprised with the AKA products, a completely new makeup brand on the market.  I love the simple packaging of the range and the colour variety available for all the products.  I’m really looking forward to seeing the range grow and expand – I think a few more ‘face’ products are needed such as foundation, power, concealer, and I’d love to see more eyeliners, shadows and nail polishes. 
I’m not completely sure what I think of the price range just yet, I can’t make my mind up whether it is a little too high or a good price.  I think because the packaging is so simple (although I love it like that) that perhaps people would expect something a little more fancy for £5-10? 

The AKA range is available to purchase on their website – HERE, but will also hopefully be making its way into stores soon!

Do you like the look of AKA Cosmetics?  What would you purchase?

xxxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment